Need help using your laptop or iPad? Want to create a Facebook profile but don’t know how to get started? Did you get a new smartphone and don't know how to use it? We can help! Our Technology Trainers will be available on Fridays 9:00-5:00 to help with your technology troubles. At this time, you can just drop in during the times they are at the library. There may be times they are not available due to sickness or other obligations, so you may want to call 937-653-3811 to confirm they are working before you make a trip to the library.
A new trainer will begin on October 2nd. Available times will be announced at a later date.
The trainers were hired by all three library systems in the county through a grant and will be available at various locations throughout the week. Read more about the trainer and the grant at the bottom of the page.
LEARN HOW TO USE
- Library ebooks or audiobooks on your computer or portable device
- Use the library’s free resource databases
- Email (phone number required to create email account)
- Computer Basics
- iPad and tablet device Basics
- Android, iPhone and other smart devices
- Kindle eReaders
- Microsoft Office Basics (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- USB Flash Drives to save personal files
- Google Drive, Google Suite (Docs, Sheets)
- Social media like Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, or LinkedIn
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
- Please arrive with a clear goal of what you would like to learn.
- Please arrive with all the necessary passwords needed to access your device or accounts.
- Be sure to bring in any device you need help with. If necessary, we can provide PC laptops with Windows 10 or an iPad for demonstration.
- We are unable to troubleshoot or fix malfunctioning devices, take apart or replace physical parts on a device, or participate in credit card transactions.
Additional Locations and Hours:
Mechanicsburg Public Library
Check back for updates
St. Paris Public Library
Monday 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
In the near future, we will offer classes through Northstar Digital Literacy.
Northstar provides a self-directed assessment and learning tool to help you improve skills with computers, software and technology.
Northstar gives participants a choice of assessments in 14 digital skill areas, starting with the very basics of computers. Some digital skills have self-directed learning you can start immediately.
The library will be offering assistance with this new resource including in-person classes. Please watch our online event calendar for dates and times.
Local libraries receive grant
The three library systems of Champaign County were recently awarded a Guiding Ohio Online grant from the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services through the State Library of Ohio. Guiding Ohio Online is a State Library administered competitive LSTA (Library Services and Technology Act) grant. The purpose of the grant is to allow public libraries in rural Ohio to hire a dedicated technology trainer for their library.
Champaign County’s new Technology Trainer, Ava Mayo, will work with Champaign County citizens in Christiansburg, Mechanicsburg, North Lewisburg, St. Paris, and Urbana. Mayo is a graduate of Mechanicsburg High School and Clark State College. She looks forward to working with area residents to improve their technology skills and learn new concepts.
Currently, Ava is offering drop-in hours on Mondays and Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the Champaign County Library in Urbana, Tuesdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Mechanicsburg Public Library, and Wednesdays from noon to 5 p.m. at the St. Paris Public Library. In the near future, she will offer classes through Northstar Digital Literacy, a resource funded through the Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN). Please watch the libraries’ online event calendars for dates and times